February 24, 2007

You've Been Hit by a Smooth Criminial...

So the latest thing that's happened recently is that my storage unit was broken into. I got a message Friday from Shurgard/Public Storage saying that there was a break in at the building my storage unit was in. Only 5 storage untis were hit and mine was one of them.

It seems that these thieves didn't pick locks or anything. They literally tried to rip the doors off the entrance and storage units. I guess my door was so bad they had to replace it completely. My thought is that they did that because my unit has like the lock of death. I got one of those super, super heavy locks that are virtually impossible to cut, pick, or jimmy.

Sadly...my first thought upon hearing of the break in concerned only one thing. My wines from
Napa Valley and Lake County California. These are wines I bought when I did my summer road trip to San Francisco to see Brenna. I think it's because those wines have sentimental value since they were from my favorite wineries and they were with me on the drive back through 2 states.

Anyway, I wans't able to go down to Public Storage until today. When I got there a police officer was there as well as another man who's unit got broken into. From the conversations I overheard with the police officer, the other man, and the Public Storage guy...there were actually multiple break-ins this week. The other man unfortunately had his broken into a couple times. I guess the thieves came across his baseball card collection and kept returning for more. This got me really worried about my wines. Of course by then, I'd also remembered my
CPAP machine was in there and would cost HELLA to replace. CRAP!!!!

I finally went to my unit. They'd fixed the door and put in an even more secure lock than the one I'd had. Cool! It was weird going through my things though. I could tell that things had definitely been moved around and gone through. It's kind of creepy knowing that stranger has been through your things. The first things I looked at were there...wine crate with wine bottles in them...check....CPAP machine...check. Woohoo! That's really all the major things I was concerned with.

After moving most things out and check through stuff. It looked like almost everything was there. The only things missing were some picture frames and if you can believe it...two of my old school annuals. What the hell are they going to do with those I ask you? I just hope they turn up like some items have since they are of no value to them. Sorry for rambling...can you tell it's been quite the little adventure with all of this? I'm exhausted!

To briefly sum up other things....my mom finally got to move back into her condo after 2 months and the CT scan was a-okay! Brenna will be moving back up to Washington and will be here soon. I'm totally excited about that. Yay!
Saw my friend Sarah earlier this week and she is totally showing now. She's due in June with her first child. She looks so cute trying to button up her coat with her bump. She's been keeping herself busy planning like crazy for her upcoming bday party. She has her theme planned out, the location and caterers booked. I can't wait to see how it all turns out. I know it will be fabulous. Besides...Sarah just happens to be an event planner. Oh and Gina got a lead role in a play! Yay! She moved to NY last summer to work on her acting. It sucks having one of your closest friends so far away. I really miss having her here, but I am happy that she's able to be doing something she loves so much.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Talk about ups & downs in your week! I can't believe the only stuff missing from your storage unit was just some minor stuff. Crazy. Seriously, your yearbooks? Weird!!

Yay, Gina!! I'm so happy for her!

Katt said...

Wow! You have had quite the week. I don't envy you at all. Even though they are just yearbooks that still sucks and you're right...that is really weird. I have my yearbooks and I don't even look at them! I know what it feels like now to have your closest friends so far away. It sucks but I'm sure you guys will keep in touch! Congratualations for her!