November 6, 2006

Rain, rain go away...come again another day!

Well the rain has not let up in the last few days. We’ve even experienced minor flooding, road closures, and all that fun stuff. Another casualty to all this rain is my mom’s condo. It’s been raining so much the last few days that Sun came home from school today to find water all over the floor in most of the rooms in the condo. Unfortunately, my mom is on the bottom level and it’s one of those places where the bottom level is partially below the ground. Luckily, my brother got off work early today and was able to go out there and help out. After talking to the on-site manager, the condo association called in their emergency crew to take care of the water. I guess the ground water was actually seeping through the pads and the carpet of the condo. I haven’t seen it yet, but I’m sure it’s not a pretty sight.

Other than the rain, the other highlights of the last week or so include: the end of
Daylight Savings Time, Halloween, Nifer & Jeff’s Open House/Reception Event, and me learning to play poker.

As far as the Daylight Savings Time ending and Halloween…those are kind of self-explanatory. All that I really have to say about them is that they happened.

Nifer & Jeff’s Open House/Reception Event took place this last Saturday. That day was an especially wet one and there was even flooding nearby. There was lots of good food, good people, and good fun. There was even a fair share of excitement. Jeff’s 84 year-old great-uncle ended up slipping when he tried to round up Tubbs the “Speedy Gonzales” cat. I actually saw the entire thing. I was clear across the kitchen and was looking at the front door. I knew I was way too far away to do anything so I felt kind of helpless. It’s like when you see something that you know is going to happen and you feel like you’re in slow motion trying to get there. The paramedics were called and he was taken away to get stitches because he’d banged his head. Luckily he was okay though.

After the Open House, we played some
poker. This was my very first official poker game. Fortunately, I had a poker mentoring session earlier that week with Nif. I still felt a little lost, but I know it would have been worse if I’d gone in without any mentoring. I learned that I’m not so good. I did still end up with 75 cents by the time I left so I was at least happy that I didn’t lose everything. I think I just need to learn things like the whole knowing when to hold them…knowing when to fold them…knowing when to walk away…etc, etc. That was my mini tribute to Kenny Rogers.

Later that night, I headed up to Laurie’s house for a mini party she was having. I got to see Teddy again while I was over there. It’s always kind of strange seeing Teddy now. There’s not any weirdness or anything between us… we get along fine. It just is so odd to me how we’re like friendly somewhat acquaintances when we used to be so close back in the day. That was a long time ago though. Back in the day when Pat and Mar still lived in the state…and Ms. Helen’s was still around.

There’s not all that much else going on right now. Oh! My brother got a new job. He’s working in the IT department at Swedish Hospital now. It’s cool because we can hang out after work if we want to now that he’s in the city. Yay!

Okay…I know I’ve said it before, but I can’t believe how soon
Thanksgiving is!!! Holy heck! My mom and I are already starting to prep for that. Can you believe that? Plus, I need to start making lists and check out my Xmas stash so I can prep for that too. Where the heck did this year go?!

No comments: