November 22, 2006

You Don't Have to be Yogurt to get Cultured...



It's been awhile again since I posted. The time seems to have flown by! I know part of that was because I was sick in bed for days about a week or so ago. When you are in bed for almost a week...time seems to slip away from you. I can't believe it's the end of November already!

So what have I been up to? I've been keeping busy throwing myself into community service. It's that time of year again and everything goes on at the same time. I'm involved again this year with the Stockings for Homeless Children. Nif and I will be volunteering again on both days. This year I thought I'd try something different and set up a donation box at work. I have a pretty good size stash of stuff to bring when we volunteer. Oh and I've also been getting involved with the food drive for Northwest Harvest. This time of year always makes me feel a little guilty about my life when I think of all those unfortunate people who have so little when I have a lot of things I take for granted in my life. I think that is why I like volunteering so much. I feel like I am working towards a better future for all.

Other than work and volunteering... I've been attempting to be more cultured. Nif, Jeff, and I had talked about doing our International Cuisine dinners again so we went ahead and started that up again. So last weekend Nif, Jeff, Katt, David, and I ventured to Seattle in search of cultural experience. I was in charge of this last International Cuisine night. Yeah...that didn't turn out so well. I had researched Caribbean restaurants and found one called Calypso Kitchen that had great reviews. The only problem was that when we got to the address we had for the restaurant, it no longer seemed to exist. I'm thinking I should have checked the dates on those rave reviews! So we all became brave and tried out an Ethiopian place we found on Roosevelt in the U-District. It was so not what I imagined it would be like. For one, the food is pretty spicy which I didn't expect. The portions were huge which you can see in the above pic. Poor Nif's lips were burning at one point. Some of the things I felt were very flavorful. Unfortunately, the service was so slow! It was one of those places that is literally in someones house. I'm not sure that I'd go back, but I'm glad I got to experience that.

My other brush with being more cultured was dinner out the other night. I ended up having dinner with Jen and Laura at a Persian restaurant. Now before I went, I had no idea what kind of food Persian food was. We went to a place called Kolbeh in Seattle. The food was amazing and I really like the ambience of the place. I would absolutely go back there!

I've also gone to dim sum and chinese in the last week, but that's nothing new. Although we did try out a new dim sum restaurant which was in Factoria. It was called
Top Gun and seemed popular as well as being very good.

Oh...Navan will be flying in tomorrow for a visit. My mom's condo is finally dry and we just need to worry about getting new carpet put in. My brother is still at Swedish and liking it. He's not liking the Seattle commute from the southend, but he's adjusting.

Well..I guess that's it for now.

No comments: